How Older Adults Benefit from Social Media
The number of seniors using social media has increased significantly over the years. The experts in retirement communities believe that virtual platforms are an excellent means for seniors to stay connected to their families, build new relationships, learn new things, and develop new skills. Read on to learn more about the advantages of social media for seniors.
Benefits of Social Media for Older Adults
- Improved Cognitive Abilities
Learning a new skill can be intellectually challenging, and social media can help improve your health by giving you an opportunity to nurture your hobbies. It can also enhance your physical and mental capacities while allowing you to learn new things.
- Decreased Loneliness
According to the experts in senior living communities, you can use social media platforms such as Facebook to connect and stay in touch with old friends. It is an excellent means to share your thoughts and read about what other people are thinking. Such websites can help you avoid feeling lonely without having to go anywhere to meet up with friends. Also, they can help you feel more connected with them.
- Education and Entertainment
Social media is a good source of healthy entertainment. You can watch videos on YouTube, play games, shop online and read about the recent happenings in the world. It can help you stay updated on current events, historical accounts, scientific breakthroughs, and more. It is also a great conversation starter with new people.
- Stay Connected with Families
With children and grandchildren moving away, families have become more geographically distant than ever. The experts in retirement communities often recommend using social media platforms such as Facebook and Instagram to stay connected. They are an easy and effortless way to get in touch with your loved ones.
- Meet New People
Social media platforms, especially Instagram and Facebook, can help you make new friends and find people who have similar interests. This can help you stay socially active, even if you have mobility issues.
Social Media for Seniors
Here are our top choices of social media platforms to use:
- Skype – Skype offers video chat options that you can use to talk to your loved ones even if they are across the globe.
- YouTube – YouTube is the world’s largest platform for uploading, sharing, and viewing videos. It is an excellent means to learn about new things.
- Facebook – It is a popular social media site that you can use to reconnect with your old friends as well as to find new like-minded people.
- Instagram – It is a source of entertainment and a fun way to share information through images.
- Twitter – This social networking site allows you to post tweets or short text messages and is a great way to stay updated on current events.
We Offer Excellent Facilities for Senior Living in Hartford
At The Holiday Retirement, we care about our residents and place the utmost importance on their health, safety, and comfort. We provide 24/7 care and have qualified staff to cater to your needs. We also arrange well-planned daily activities and have social dining arrangements to help you feel active. We will treat you with love and respect that you deserve and make sure that you have everything you need.
Also Read: 5 Useful Apps for Seniors